yeah, I know, sorry, I just can't get that song out of my head lately. In my quest to make one new healthy recipe a week I stumbled upon a frittata from Clean Eating.
Here's the deal with my cooking, I like it yummy, healthy, get as many vegetables as I can in to one dish and fast. After a day at work, followed by either a training run or a session at 9 Round I need to get home and whip up a healthy dinner so I can enjoy the rest of my evening. The following recipe does all of that...and uses summer vegetables (that's the tie in to the post name in case you were wondering. why is she singing that song?!)
Here is what I like about this meal, besides it being wonderfully delicious! one serving is only 169 calories! So I was thinking Great! I can have two servings. And you know what...one serving was plenty!
And the verdict from my husband who is alway at the ready to try my new recipes... I always ask questions to gauge how well he really likes the dish...
A. Would you want me to make this again?
B. Would you want me to make once a week?
C. Would you eat the left overs?
and even when he answers me I look for a physical sign that he enjoyed the meal....he had one serving and said he LOVED it....my physical sign....20 minutes later he was back in the kitchen for his second serving because it was "calling him"
Enjoy!
Here's the deal with my cooking, I like it yummy, healthy, get as many vegetables as I can in to one dish and fast. After a day at work, followed by either a training run or a session at 9 Round I need to get home and whip up a healthy dinner so I can enjoy the rest of my evening. The following recipe does all of that...and uses summer vegetables (that's the tie in to the post name in case you were wondering. why is she singing that song?!)
Here is what I like about this meal, besides it being wonderfully delicious! one serving is only 169 calories! So I was thinking Great! I can have two servings. And you know what...one serving was plenty!
And the verdict from my husband who is alway at the ready to try my new recipes... I always ask questions to gauge how well he really likes the dish...
A. Would you want me to make this again?
B. Would you want me to make once a week?
C. Would you eat the left overs?
and even when he answers me I look for a physical sign that he enjoyed the meal....he had one serving and said he LOVED it....my physical sign....20 minutes later he was back in the kitchen for his second serving because it was "calling him"
Enjoy!
Summer Vegetable Frittata
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Leek, sliced into half moons ( I LOVE leek, I would probably put more in next go around)
1 medium zucchini sliced into half moons
8 red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved (1 cup) ( I used grape tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups Egg Whites
1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 oz soft goat cheese (I used Feta cheese as this what I had on hand)
Preheat broiler with oven rack in middle position. Place bread in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fine bread crumbs form. Set aside
In a 10 inch oven safe nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add leek and zucchini and saute until soften (2-3 mins). Add tomatoes and sautee for 1 minute until heated through. Reduce heat to medium
in a medium bowl, add egg whites. Whisk in basil, mustard powder, dill and pepper and pour egg white mixture over vegetables in skillet. cook, sing a rubber spatula to stir and push egg from edges to center of skillet so liquid can run underneath. Redistribute vegetables and basil evening around skillet as needed. Cook until egg whites are almost set, about 3 minutes. Egg whites should still be a bit wet on top but otherwise set.
Drop dollops of cheese onto mixture; scatter bread crumbs evenly over top
Place skillet on middle oven rack beneath broiler. Broil under bread crumbs are toasted and egg whites complete set. 4 to 5 mins
Remove skillet and let frittata sit for 2-3 mins.
Slice into 4 wedges and ENJOY!
Who knew?
Did you know that leeks are a very good source of manganese, an essential nutrient that activates the enzymes needed for your body to utilize nutrients! AND, they are a good source of Vitamin C. and have been shown to support cardiovascular health! Eat more leeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment